FX – Potential residual push down towards USD major supports
- EUR/USD – No change, maintain bullish bias above 1.2340/2320 key short-term support for a potential residual push up to target the upper limit of the major resistance at 1.2560 (Fibonacci cluster + exit potential of the “Double Bottom” bullish breakout configuration formed in Mar 2015 to July 2017) holding above the 1.2340/2320 support. On the other hand, failure to hold above 1.2320 should trigger a minor corrective decline towards the 1.2215/2160 support zone (38.2% Fibonacci retracement of the up move from 13 Dec 2017 low to yesterday high + 18 Jan 2018 swing low).
- GBP/USD - No change, maintain bullish bias for potential residual push up above 1.4100/4080 key short-term support to target the next resistance at 1.4500/4570 (Fibonacci cluster + major congestion zone of Feb/May 2016 before Brexit vote). However, a break below 1.4100/4080 should negate the bullish tone to see a minor corrective decline towards the next support at 1.4000/3930 (the former minor swing high areas of 18/19 Jan 2018).
- AUD/USD – Rallied as expected and hit the lower limit of the major resistance/target zone of 0.8130 (printed a high of 0.8136 on last Fri, 26 Jan U.S. session. Based on Elliot Wave/fractal analysis, the pair may stage another push up to complete the minor degree bullish impulsive upleg from 26 Jan 2018 low. Maintain bullish bias in any dips with a tight key short-term support at 0.8070 (minor swing area of 26 Jan 2018 + 50% Fibonacci retracement of the on-going upleg from 26 Jan 2018 to last Fri high) for a potential residual push up to target the upper limit of the major resistance zone at 0.8170 (Fibonacci cluster + swing high of 08 Sep 2017 + major pull-back resistance of a former ascending trendline from Apr 2001 low). On the flipside, failure to hold above 0.8070 should negate the bullish tone to kick-start a minor corrective slide towards the next support at 0.8000/7960 in the first step.
- NZD/USD - Mix elements, remain neutral between 0.7270 & 7390. Only clearance above 0.7390 is likely to revive the bullish tone for another potential upleg to target the 0.7530 major resistance.
- USD/JPY – Pushed down as expected and hit the upper limit of the major support zone of 108.40/108.00 (printed a low of 108.28 on last Fri, 26 Jan U.S. session). Interestingly, the 4 hour Stochastic oscillator has started to flash a bullish divergence signal at its oversold region which suggests a slow-down in downside momentum of price actions. Time to be cautious for the bears, prefer to turn neutral first between 108.00 & 109.60 (minor swing high of 26 Jan 2018 + 23.6% Fibonacci retracement of the down move from 12 Dec 2017 high to last Fri low). A clearance above 109.60 is likely to kick-start of potential corrective rebound towards 110.30/45 (descending trendline from 08 Jan 2018 high + former swing low area of 17 Jan 2018).
- US SP 500 – Rallied as expected and surpassed the resistance/target of 2860 (print another new all-time level of 2874 on last Fri, 26 Jan U.S session) Right now, it is coming close to the upper limit of its key medium-term resistance at 2880 (see weekly technical outlook). Daily Bollinger Band & RSI oscillators are showing extreme overbought readings coupled with Elliot Wave/fractal analysis that suggests the intermediate degree bullish impulsive wave (3) may end soon where a multi-week corrective decline/consolidation may occur next. Thus, prefer to be prudent and turn neutral now between 2880 & 2851 (former minor swing high areas of 24/25 Jan 2018 + 23.6% Fibonacci retracement of the on-going rally from 17 Jan 2018 minor swing low).
- Japan 225 – No change, maintain bearish bias below 23800/830 key short-term resistance (minor descending trendline from 23 Jan 2018 high + 50% Fibonacci retracement of the decline from 23 Jan 2018 high to yesterday, 25 Jan U.S. session) for a further potential push down to target the 23400/23325 key medium-term support (see weekly technical outlook).
- Hong Kong 50 – Pushed up as expected and hit the 33330 resistance/target as expected. Mix elements now, prefer to turn neutral between 33420 (upper limit of key medium-term resistance – see weekly technical outlook) & 33000 (former minor swing high area of 25 Jan 2018 that has been tested and held as a support on 26 Jan 2018).
- Australia 200 – No change, maintain bullish bias for a potential push up to test 6109 (the medium-term upper neutrality range -see weekly technical outlook). However, failure to hold above 6030/18 should negate the short-term bullish tone to see another slide to retest the 6000/5986 key medium-term support.
- Germany 30 - Pushed up but still below the 13450 key short-term resistance. Maintain bearish bias below 13450 for a potential push down towards the 13130 key medium-term support. On the flipside, a break above 13450 may negate the bearish tone to see a revival of the bulls to retest the current all-time of 13600 in the first step.
Commodities – Gold & WTI still holding above supports
- Gold – As long as 1342 key short-term support holds, it can still shape another potential push up to target the significant resistance of 1375/1378 (major upside trigger level for a potential multi-month up move). However, a break below 1342 should damage the medium-term uptrend for a minor corrective decline towards the next support at 1324/1317 (former swing high of 05/10 Jan 2018 + 38.2% Fibonacci retracement of the up move from 12 Dec 2017 low to 25 Jan 2018 high).
- WTI Crude (Mar 2018) – Rise in progress as expected and coming close to the first resistance/target of 66.66. No change, maintain bullish bias in any dips with a tightened key short-term support now at 65.70 (minor ascending trendline from 23 Jan 2018 low) for a potential up move to target next near-term resistance at 67.60/68.40 (Fibonacci projection cluster + upper boundary of medium-term ascending channel from 14 Dec 2017 low). Below 65.70 should negate the bullish tone for a deeper slide to retest the next minor support at 64.75 (former minor swing highs of 16/24 Jan 2018).
*Levels are obtained from City Index Advantage TraderPro platform
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.