Short-term technical outlook on AUD/USD (Wed 11 Jul)
Key technical elements
- Since its low of 0.7308 printed on 02 Jul 2018, the AUD/USD has staged the expected bullish breakout from its minor bullish “Descending Wedge” configuration and met the mean reversion target/resistance of 0.7450 as per highlighted in our previous report dated 03 Jul 2018 (click here for a recap).
- The pair has staged a pull-back from its recent 09 Jul 2018 high of 0.7484 and it is now resting a key short-term support of 0.7400/7380.
- The aforementioned key short-term support of 0.740/7380 is defined by a confluence of elements; the former minor range resistance from 29 Jun/05 Jul 2018, the lower boundary of a minor ascending channel in place since 02 Jul 2018 low and a Fibonacci retracement/projection cluster.
- The hourly Stochastic oscillator has traced out a bullish divergence signal at its oversold region which suggests that the recent pull-back from its 0.7484 high has lose downside momentum.
- The next significant short-term resistance stands at 0.7540 which is defined by the upper boundary of the medium-term descending channel from 26 Jan 2018, 38.2% Fibonacci retracement of the decline from 14 Mar 2018 high to 02 Jul 2018 low and the upper boundary of the minor ascending channel from 02 Jul 2018 (see daily & 1 hour chart).
Key Levels (1 to 3 days)
Pivot (key support): 0.7400/7380
Resistances: 0.7440, 07484 & 0.7540
Next support: 0.7330/7300
Therefore, as long as the 0.7400/7380 pivotal support holds and a break above 0.7440 (an hourly close above it) may see another potential fresh upleg of the minor mean reversion phase to retest 0.7484 before targeting the 0.7540 resistance.
However, failure to hold above 0.7380 invalidates the mean reversion rebound scenario for the continuation of the medium-term down move to retest the 02 Jul 2018 swing low area of 0.7330/7300 in the first step.
Charts are from eSignal
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.