Bernanke’s dovish comments at the Jackson Hole conference on Friday
Mansur Chowdhury September 3, 2012 3:40 PM
<p>- After Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke’s dovish comments at the Jackson Hole conference on Friday, it appears that the markets are reacting positively to what […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- After Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke’s dovish comments at the Jackson Hole conference on Friday, it appears that the markets are reacting positively to what could be interpreted as signals of QE3 in the coming months.
- The optimism has even overshadowed the slowdown in Chinese manufacturing data, with hopes that it will trigger government stimulus measures.
- The FTSE is currently trading up 30 points at 5742, the DAX is 20 points higher at 7002 and the CAC is at 3426, so about 12 points up.
- On the back of the Chinese data, it’s the heavyweight mining firms that are leading the way so far. Fresnillo is up over 3% at 1612p, with Vedanta Resources and Kazakhmys also amongst the biggest risers, with both gaining by 2.5%.
- Russian steelmaker Evraz is also amongst the leaders, dominated by commodity and resources companies.
- The biggest loser is technology firm ARM Holdings, which is down over 2% at 561.85p. The firm received a broker downgrade from Deutsche Bank and had its price target revised downwards.
- A pretty quiet day today as far as the economic calendar is concerned, as the US markets will be closed for the Labor Day Holiday. However, do keep your eyes on ECB President Draghi’s speech at 2.30pm UK time.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.