- Equities were broadly lower throughout the Asia session with trade concerns making a comeback after a 1-day hiatus.
- Hong Kong stocks led the decline for a second successive session as protestors took to the streets again, where reports of violence saw the government shut their offices. At time of writing, just 6 stocks have risen, 42 have fallen and 2 remain unchanged within the index, with technology and energy stocks leading the decline.
- Despite the negative sentiment, ASX200 remains relatively firm at just -0.1% lower for the session. Whilst energy stocks plunged with weaker oil prices, the broader index remained support following weak unemployment data, which saw further calls for RBA to cut in July. Just ahead of the close, 85 stocks have risen, 108 have fallen and 7 remain unchanged.
In Corporate news:
- Westfarmers Ltd (WES.AX) have forecast falling earnings for Kmart department stores, for the first time in a decade.
- Challenger (CFG.AX) fell 12% on disappointing earnings outlook.
- Residential developer Stockland Corp (SGP.AX) fell 6.3% on lower settlements outlook.
Upcoming corporate highlights
Upcoming economic highlights
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.