Stock market snapshot as of [30/5/2019 0650 GMT]
- Most Asian stock markets have continued to trade in the red except for Kospi 200 which has rallied by close to 1% as at today’s Asian mid-session.
- Fears of a global growth slowdown in tune with heightened trade tensions have continued to cast “dark clouds” in global stock markets where the S&P 500 is set to record its first negative closing month for May since its 4-month of consecutive winning streak (higher closes) that started in Jan 2019.
- In addition, another key risk-off indicator to monitor will be the USD/CNH (offshore yuan) where it has continued to inch higher from this Mon, 27 May low of 6.8980 after verbal intervention from a top Chinese official on a weakening yuan. Also, the USD/CNH is set to record a positive monthly close for May, its best monthly close since Jun 2018. A rising USD/CNH does not bode well for global stock markets.
- No key European and UK economic data releases for today.
- European stock indices CFD futures have started to recover some lost ground from yesterday’s steep losses where the FTSE 100 and German Dax has recorded modest gains of 0.25% and 0.28% respectively.
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.