Market News & Analysis
Asia FX Handover: Big 4 Bank Forecasts 3x RBA Cuts in 2019
Matt Simpson May 24, 2019 5:06 AM
- It felt the calm after the storm following events from the European and US session, with minor ranges overall as markets digested weaker global data.
- AUD is the weakest major after Westpac Bank upped their dovish forecasts for 3x RBA cuts in 2019.
- President Trump is reported to be contemplating punishments for currency manipulators (spoiler alert, he means China) whilst also saying issues with ‘dangerous’ Huawei could be resolved with a trade deal.
- NZ PM Arden has signalled lower growth for New Zealand.
- Japan’s key inflation gauge hit a 4-year high, although the milestone read was undermined as it was driven by a spike in tourism fees. All other reads hit their low expectations.
- WTI made an almost feeble effort to lift itself from $60, following its worst session of the year. Japanese equities gapped lower, yet gaps were filled as they tried to track Chinese shares cautiously higher. US index futures have ticked slightly higher but, overall, look like sheepish moves compared with yesterday’s rout.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.