A flat to slightly higher start to trading this morning
Mansur Chowdhury July 17, 2012 10:02 PM
<p>A flat to slightly higher start to trading this morning, with domestic investors cautious ahead of the latest UK inflation readings, a bit later this […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- A flat to slightly higher start to trading this morning, with domestic investors cautious ahead of the latest UK inflation readings, a bit later this morning.
- FTSE is at 5670, up about 15 points, DAX is at 6603, up 40 points with the CAC at 3190 up 10 points, so a seemingly stronger open in European indices than the FTSE.
- Despite metal prices easing on concerns over US slowdown, miners seem to be bucking the trend and amongst the biggest risers are Vedanta Resources and Kazakhmys both gaining 1.5% and 1.25% respectively. Barclays are also one of the biggest risers with a gain of 1.45%.
- The biggest faller is Wolseley who are 3.5% down this morning. The plumbing firm cited difficult market conditions in continental Europe in the third quarter have continued, and is now mulling strategic options for its business in France.
- Gold is stronger by 0.25% at 1594. The dollar index weakening slightly against major European currencies with the EUR/USD up 0.25% at 1.2298 and the cable at 1.5634 so 0.1% higher.
- A busy day on the economic calendar. We kick off with UK CPI figures later this morning, and with BoE Mervyn Kings speech. As the day progresses also keep your eyes open for economic sentiment survey from Germany, CPI figures from the States and FED chairman Bernanke’s congressional testimony today.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.