A cautious market with Cyprus securing the bailout
Trading Floor News March 26, 2013 3:40 PM
<p>- Markets opened more or less flat today with sentiment fragile following the Cypriot bailout. Cyprus banks have been closed since March 16th and will […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- Markets opened more or less flat today with sentiment fragile following the Cypriot bailout. Cyprus banks have been closed since March 16th and will remain closed until March 28th after the country finally agreed to a bailout with the rest of Europe, giving officials two more days to work out measures to avoid run on deposits.
- The FTSE was slightly up on the open as trading is currently very controlled ahead of the circumstances in Cyprus, an hour in to trading the index rose with banks under further pressure.
- RBS, Lloyds and Barclays were down more than 1% and in the mining sector there was also falls, Eurasian Natural Resources down by 13.2p many large miners this year have announced a significant drop in net profit due to falling commodity prices and large impairment charges.
- On the upside B&Q owner kingfisher was up 7.2p topped the FTSE after posting a fall in full year profits meeting set forecasts.
- A cautious market with Cyprus securing the bailout, ending a week of financial panic but uncertainty does remain; an alternative to focus on would be US data figures being released throughout today.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.